Many people don’t know that Cottages by the Sea is one of the oldest hotels on St. Croix that is still in business. The story of Cottages by the Sea begins after World War II, when tourism started to blossom on the island. Today, Cottages is still a small, quaint property owned and operated by the founding family, The Benedicts. We offer our guests an authentic and genuine Caribbean escape, not only on a perfect stretch of beach, but with a rich history and a beautiful story as well.
Today, Cottages by the Sea is owned and managed by the children of Tom & Carol Benedict. We begin our story by briefly exploring our St. Croix heritage and the Benedict Family in St. Croix from Tom’s side of the family. Next, we will give a brief history of the property and business of Cottages by the Sea and then share with you some of our Danish heritage from Carol’s side of the family and how Tom and Carol met. Then it would be appropriate to end our story by presenting you with our mission today as we go forward.
We hope that you will continue to read on, but be prepared to be enchanted by an old Caribbean charm that is harder to find as the Caribbean continues to develop.
St. Croix Heritage
Our ancestors, with mostly Danish and British heritage, relocated to the island of St Croix from Denmark and neighboring islands as merchants, traders and medical doctors. Back in those days, it was common for families to have many children. Here is a photograph of our great-great Grandparents on our father’s side, the Armstrongs, and some of their children. The picture was taken in Christiansted, St. Croix circa 1875.
Our great-great grandmother’s parents were of Dutch and Danish origin. Her father was active in the Danish government. In fact, he worked for Governor Peter von Scholten who was the legendary Danish governor that emancipated the slaves in the Danish West Indies (known today as the U.S. Virgin Islands) in 1848.
Our great-great grandfather was a busy merchant despite coming from a family of medical doctors. In fact his father, brothers and some nephews were doctors who also practiced in Ponce, Puerto Rico since the 1840’s, and even moved and started large families there.
The little girl on the far right in the picture is our great-grandmother Harriet Armstrong. She met and married a man from Connecticut, Robert L. Merwin, who moved to St. Croix to work for her father, Francis Armstrong. Harriet and Robert were married in 1887, and moved to Liberty Hall in the port city of Frederiksted, St. Croix to raise a large family of 6 children. The six children were, Edith, Miles, Annie, Harriet, Genevieve and Martha.
Edith and Hattie never married or had any children, but Miles had six children and managed the family business, RL Merwin & Company that still exists today in Frederiksted. Miles raised his family at Sprat Hall Plantation house just north of Frederiksted, where his daughter, Joyce, later raised her own family and where she still lives to this day. Annie married Malcolm Skeoch who owned, managed and lived at the Diamond Distillery that later evolved into the Cruzan Rum Factory and still exists to this day. Please visit www.HistoryOfCruzanRum.com for the complete history. The youngest sibling, Martha, married John Shultz, who was born and raised in Antigua, moved to St Croix when he was very young, and was a graduate of the US Naval Academy. John was captain of a heavy cruiser in the Navy during WWII and was a survivor of Pearl Harbor. Genevieve, our grandmother’s, story continues below….
Robert L Merwin was an American in a Danish Territory and he was very active in politics and the colonial council at the time. In 1917, the United States of America bought the Danish West Indies from Denmark, and the islands were then renamed the US Virgin Islands. On the day the island was to transfer ownership from Denmark to the United States, March 31st, 1917 (Transfer Day) our grandmother, Genevieve, was chosen to raise the American flag in Frederiksted. Unfortunately she could not raise the flag because she came down with Mumps that same day. Soon Genevieve would have better luck when she met her husband–to-be, Harold J. Benedict.
The Benedict Family
Our grandfather and founder of Cottages by the Sea, Harold Benedict, was born in St. Louis in 1895. He was a natural athlete and attended Exeter Academy Prep School and then Colgate University in New York, both on a football scholarship. Harold was able to run the 100-yard dash in 10 seconds flat, a proud accomplishment of his.
After one year of college at Colgate University, Harold, nicknamed “Benny”, enlisted in the Marines in June of 1917 and ended up in France in the 6th MGB of the 4th Marine Brigade during WWI. Unfortunately, Benny was severely wounded in the Battle of Belleau Wood in June of 1918 where he lost his leg. This battle, though, was a proud moment for the Marines when they fought one of their greatest battles in history in which the German troops referred to their new enemy as “Devil Dogs”, a nickname in which Marines share pride to this day. Benny was then decorated as a war hero, having been awarded a Purple Heart and a Croix de Guerre Cross for the Battle at Belleau Wood.
After his discharge from the Military, Benny was able to finish his College degree at Colgate University, not on a football scholarship, but on the G.I. Bill afforded to him from his time served in the military. Upon graduating with a degree in Education, Benny answered an ad published in the New York Times for a job on the island of St. Croix in the USVI to start a new private school, which was eventually called the Roosevelt School. The ad was placed in the paper by Robert L. Merwin, the father of his future bride, Genevieve. On July 3, 1923, Genevieve and Benny were married and their wedding picture was taken in front of Liberty Hall in downtown Frederiksted, the family home of the RL Merwin Famiily.
In the years that followed, Ben and Genevieve had 4 children, Harold, Patricia, Robert and Thomas. With their growing family, the Benedicts purchased Hannah’s Rest Great House located just up the hill from where Cottages by the Sea is still located today. The great house is no longer there, but here is a rare picture of the house at the time the family was living there. This is where their youngest son, Tom, was born. The years at Hannah’s Rest were happy years. During this time Benny served as principal of the Christiansted High School for 19 years where he taught a generation of young, bright Crucians History, English and Math.
Benny, known as Mr. Benedict to the children, decided to also teach the school children “American” sports, like Baseball. St. Croix had just transferred from a Danish to an American territory in 1917, and the kids were mostly playing soccer and cricket. Mr. Benedict bought gloves, bats and baseballs and was the umpire every Sunday afternoon. He also was president and founder of a baseball league that even took a team to St. Thomas to play.
During this time, the school had a picnic at Sandy Point where Benny brought a homemade batch of root beer he learned how to make from his mother in their basement growing up in NY. The community loved his homemade root beer! Soon afterwards, he quit his job in education and started his own business, “Sandy Point Products”, a bottling company which made and distributed root beer and later Orange Crush and Old Colony Soda Pop. The root beer was sold for 3 cents a bottle.
After a few prosperous years in business, Benny sold “Sandy Point Products” and Hannah’s Rest Greathouse and moved the family to New Jersey for the kids to experience stateside living and education. Before they departed the island in 1943, Ben and Gen purchased 5 acres of beachfront land just south of Frederiksted. This land was their favorite beach because of the calm, clear, warm water, which made it easy for the one-legged, Ben, to enter and exit the waters for his daily swim. This is the land that is today Cottages by the Sea, The Beachside Cafe’, and Sandcastle on the Beach.
The Hotel Beginnings
In 1948, Benny and Genevieve returned to St. Croix with only one of their children, Tom. The other Benedict children, Hal, Bob and Pat were already married and starting families in New Jersey. Benny, Genevieve and Tom couldn’t wait to build a new home on their gorgeous beachfront property near Sandy Point.
In the beginning, the Benedicts built a few simple solid cement structures for them to live. With no electricity, Tom would read books by candlelight and the family realized how uniquely enjoyable the property was. They had no neighbors from the south to Sandy Point, and to the north toward the town of Frederiksted.
By this time, Genevieve’s cousins had recently started new hotels of their own, “The Buccaneer” at Shoy’s Beach in Christiansted and “Sprat Hall”, just north of Frederiksted. Genevieve and Benny, with the help of their son, Tom, started to build more structures with the intent of renting out these “cottages” to guests who showed an interest in staying on their property. Gen, Ben and Tom lived on the property and soon got to know their new guests. They started calling this new small business “Cottages by the Sea”. The guests enjoyed mingling with our island relatives, learning island history and hearing war stories from their hosts.
In the early years of Cottages by the Sea, Benny worked part-time in Frederiksted as a Travel Agent at Crawford’s Travel, owned by Tom’s cousin, Eileen Skeoch Crawford. Genevieve was also part owner of RL Merwin and Co., another family business, and thus ran an Ice Cream Parlor on the waterfront in Frederiksted where Polly’s at the Pier is today – still selling ice cream. Genevieve also enjoyed making jewelry from shells and sea glass right off the beach to sell to tourists. Tom also enlisted in the Air Force for a few years in the mid fifties.
By 1955, Cottages by the Sea was a hotel business. Genevieve and Benny were gracious and gregarious hoteliers. Activities would center on the main patio where the guests would gather to watch the sunset, enjoy rum cocktails, and sing-along with Benny while he played the ukulele. During the day, the guests were busy sunning, swimming and snorkeling – just like they do today. The warm friendly community atmosphere, authentic Crucian hospitality, and fully equipped cottages kept the guests returning yearly.
By 1965, Benny and Genevieve wanted to retire from the hotel business and spend more time with their four married children and 16 grandchildren in the states. Instead of selling the business, they leased it out for the next 37 years. The first lessee was the Smjeikel family until 1970, followed by Betty Little until 1980. Pat and Mac McFee managed the property and business until 1990 when they sub-let the property to the Nortons, the Kings, and their daughter, Vicki until 2001. Tom and Carol Benedict, with their son Paul, returned to St. Croix in 2001, to take back the lease and run the business again as a family.
Over the years, parts of the original 5 acre property were sold and a hotel and restaurant were developed to our north (adjacent to our property), which are still our neighbors, Sandcastle on the Beach (hotel) and The Beachside Cafe (restaurant). Genevieve’s sister, Martha Shultz, also lived and owned some of the property directly to our south, which the Benedict children later bought back, and the main part of the property, along with all of the original buildings, is still Cottages by the Sea to this day.
Now, more than 70 years after the Benedict’s purchased their beachfront property, the cottages consist of 25 rentable cottages, two staff cottages, an office, laundry room, two public patios, and most of our cottages have been completely remodeled, with every cottage being completely unique in style and design. Our location, on the West End of St. Croix, is off-the-beaten path and still offers an authentic Old-Caribbean feel on a perfect stretch of beach.
We hope you have enjoyed reading about our family heritage in the Caribbean and the States and especially about the development of St. Croix’s most unique boutique hotel – Cottages by the Sea. But wait, the story isn’t over yet. Please read on to see how Tom met his bride, Carol, on the patio at Cottages by the Sea well over 50 years ago….
Tom Meets Carol
Our mother, Carol Jacobsen, is of Danish descent but not through the island of St. Croix. Carol came from a poor, Danish, farming family in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Danish was often spoken in her home as she was growing up, so she could always understand some Danish. Carol’s father, Joachim “Joe”, emigrated from Denmark to Minnesota as a young man where he met his wife, Agnes. Agnes’ parents had also emigrated from Denmark where they were farmers.
Carol, after graduating with a nursing degree (RN) in June of 1957, visited St. Croix as part of a Lutheran Church work group. Carol immediately connected with the island, especially with the Danish population. The leaders of the Lutheran Church on St. Croix were impressed with Carol and offered her a position as Matron of the Lutheran Church orphanage in Frederiksted known as The Queen Louise Home (QLH). Carol accepted the position and moved back to St. Croix a few months later. Carol kept busy caring for the children and directing the staff of the orphanage.
In the mid 1950s Tom enlisted in the US Air Force and served his country in the Philippines during the Korean War. By 1958, he was back on St. Croix and living at Cottages by the Sea. In June of 1958 his parents threw a birthday party for him on the main patio of Cottages by the Sea. To Tom’s delight, he met his future bride-to-be, Carol Jacobsen, from the Queen Louise Home. Tom’s mother, Genevieve, had invited Carol to his party.
Carol loved the beach at Cottages by the Sea and regularly brought the children from the orphanage down to swim where the water was calm and the beach was clean for the children to play. Of course, Tom would come out to see them when they were there.
The rest is history……Carol and Tom were married at the Lutheran Church in Frederiksted in April 2, 1960. None of Carol’s family could afford to make the trip from Minnesota for her wedding, so the children at the orphanage were her family. At that time, Tom’s cousin, John David Merwin, was the governor of the Virgin Islands. With his attendance, and the rest of Tom’s extended family, the wedding was grand and beautiful, however a little intimidating for Carol.
During their first year of marriage, Tom and Carol moved to the states, first to Minnesota and then to Florida to raise their 4 children, Patricia, Thomas Matthew, Ruth and Paul. The family visited St. Croix regularly during their years away from the island. In 2001, Tom, Carol and son, Paul, moved back to St. Croix to run the hotel business, with the occasional help of the other children, Patti, Matt and Ruth. Unfortunately, Carol passed away in January of 2012 after a 6 year battle with Alzheimer’s Disease. We were able to keep Carol on the property and care for her during the disease. Without the love and companionship of the love of his life, Carol, and after an 11 year battle with Parkinson’s Disease, Tom passed away 14 months later on March 15, 2013. Both of our parents are buried at Kings Hill, mid-island, off of Centerline Road.
Today, the children of Tom and Carol are working together to keep the legacy of Cottages by the Sea alive. Paul lives on site as the full time, General Manager, and he has worked wonders at the continual upkeep and remodeling of the cottages. Ruth works from her home in Friday Harbor, Washington doing all marketing, advertising, reservations, weddings, group sales, emails, managing the website, TripAdvisor, all online travel agent sales, and works closely with the Danish travel industry to bring Danish guests to the Virgin Islands. Patti and Matt remain involved in the business on a minimal basis.
An added Note: Because of the popularity of our cottages, and because the opportunity was presented to us, the management of Cottages by the Sea took over the management of the Frederiksted Hotel, a 32 room hotel, 1/2 mile down the road from our cottages, within the town limits of Frederiksted, in April of 2016. Paul, as leader, Lyndi, as decorator, and our maintenance staff, have worked diligently to upgrade the Frederiksted Hotel, now known as THE INN ON STRAND STREET to become as quaint and authentic as Cottages by the Sea. Frederiksted lacked hotel rooms, and this hotel was not working to full capacity, so this move allowed us to now offer more hotel rooms to travelers looking to stay on the West End of St Croix in and near the town of Frederiksted.
We hope you have enjoyed hearing the story of the Benedict Family and Cottages by the Sea.
Our family has enjoyed working in the hotel business and reconnecting with St. Croix, it’s visitors and residents, for more than a decade now. Our business and our story are unique, so we are dedicated to the following:
- To be authentic and proud ambassadors of St. Croix and our Crucian Heritage.
- To offer a relaxing, intimate, welcoming, safe and friendly environment at our Cottages and the Frederiksted Hotel.
- To deliver a unique vacation experience that cannot be experienced at a typical resort.
Despite a few devastating hurricanes and the island’s cyclical economy, Cottages by the Sea has continued, and plans to continue, to make your Caribbean experience truly authentic and memorable.
From Our Home to Yours,
Paul Benedict, Matt Benedict, Patti Schellhaas, Ruth Fox
and the entire staff of Cottages by the Sea