Thinking about a destination wedding?
Many of our past guests have chosen to have their wedding or vow renewal at Cottages by the Sea and we have been honored to witness these special events. Because we are a small, quiet and quaint property, we do not allow receptions on our property and we do not allow weddings on our beach between the dates of December 25 and April 15.
We do not have a wedding planner, coordinator or decorator on staff, but we can provide names and phone numbers of Officiants or Ministers, professional photographers, florists, bakers, and musicians on St Croix who perform these services.
For local weddings, we charge a $150 non-refundable venue fee for weddings during our summer season only. Our summer season dates are April 16 – December 14. This fee includes the use of our facilities for the ceremony only. We do not provide the use of one of our rooms for the wedding party and we do not have a public restroom, so it is best to limit the ceremony to an hour or less. Parking is limited on our property, so we request that all local guests park at the empty lot north of Sandcastle on the Beach or south of our fenced property.
Because we also manage The Inn on Strand Street in downtown Frederiksted, we can work with our guests to plan a reception in the courtyard or on the terrace at that hotel. The fee for the use of this venue would be $250.
Please contact us today for more information on the possibility of having your wedding or vow renewal ceremony at Cottages by the Sea. Email all inquiries to email@example.com.
Steps Necessary to Plan Your Wedding with us at Cottages by the Sea, St Croix, USVI:
1) Contact us, before booking your reservations with us, to discuss your plans with our staff. It is important that you clear your dates with us BEFORE planning your wedding so that we can inform you if your planned dates fit into our calendar of events. Please note that WE DO NOT ALLOW WEDDINGS BETWEEN THE DATES OF DECEMBER 25 AND APRIL 15.
2) Book your cottages on this website or by calling us at 800-323-7252 and tell us the name of the bride and groom. We prefer that all wedding reservations are booked directly with us and not on other sites such as Expedia so that we know who is part of the wedding party. Weddings and cottages cannot be booked more than 11 months in advance.
3) Apply for your marriage license (directions below).
4) Purchase your plane tickets, attire, etc., and invite your guests to join you for the biggest day of your life! Keep in mind that we only have 27 cottages, so large weddings are discouraged.
5) Book your officiator, photographer, reception venue, rental cars and anything else needed to make your day special. Keep in mind that we are only a phone call away and we are happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Directions for Obtaining a Marriage License in St Croix:
It is necessary to apply for a marriage license before planning your wedding in St Croix. We suggest you submit your application to the court one month in advance if you are mailing your documents, or two weeks in advance if you are submitting them in person. The following documents are required for application:
• Application for Marriage License
• License and Certificate of Marriage
• $100 application fee, non-refundable – payable by certified check or money order
• A letter detailing date of arrival on St. Croix, length of stay, and desired date of ceremony.
• If either applicant is divorced, include a certified copy of all applicable divorce decrees.
• If either applicant is widowed, include a certified copy of all applicable death certificates.
Mail to: Superior Court United States Virgin Islands, Family Division, PO Box 929, Christiansted, St Croix USVI 00821
Apply in person at: The R.H. Amphlett Leader Justice Center located on Centerline Road in Kingshill.
Posting of Application:
There is an 8 day waiting period required before the court will issue a marriage license. During this time, the application is posted for public review.
Examination of Applicants:
Both applicants are required to appear, together, before the Clerk of the Court, or her designee, to be examined under oath before the marriage license can be issued. Valid, government issued identification is required.
Please note: there is no physical examination or blood test required.
• $100 application fee
• $100 license fee
• $400 if you wish for a judge to perform the marriage
• $3.00 per certified copy
• Monday – Friday: 8 am – 5 pm, excluding holidays (please note that the cashier is only open 8:15 am – 3:00 pm)
• Saturday – For a fee of $150 you can pre-arrange for the court to be open (excludes Carnival Saturday)
• Sunday and Holidays: For a fee of $150 you can pre-arrange for the court to be open from 9:30 -10:30 am.
We strongly suggest calling the Superior Court prior to sending in your documents to check that you have the most up to date forms, fees, procedures and cashier hours. (340) 778-9750
A few things to keep in mind for those thinking about a beautiful, Caribbean beach wedding at Cottages by the Sea:
- You must have your wedding approved by our staff BEFORE making your reservation with us. A $250 wedding deposit is required at the time of booking to secure your date for an event on our property.
- Cottages employees can serve as witnesses for those who are eloping
- We can supply names and phone numbers of officiators, photographers, florists and cake decorators to potential brides and grooms
- Beach weddings on Sundays are not recommended
- Sunset weddings are beautiful and recommended
- Mid-day weddings can be hot and not very private
- Because we are a small, quiet hotel, we do not allow receptions on our property, but we do recommend The Beachside Café, adjacent to our property, for receptions. We can also provide names of other restaurants who can host your reception
- A beach wedding is hot and breezy, so dress accordingly. Suits and tuxedos for men can be cumbersome
- Our property is full of lush and tropical flowers, so feel free to make your own homemade bouquet
- We are not a party facility, but we are a hotel, so loud and late weddings are discouraged
- We do not hold cottages for wedding groups. All guests need to book their own cottage on our website or call us at 800-323-7252. We require a 2 night deposit for each cottage and we have a three night minimum. When booking, please notate the name of your group (i.e. Benedict/Fox Wedding).